Subject: Re: ncrscsi driver trouble
To: NetBSD/Mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Isaac Salpeter <isaac@ticalc.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/1996 23:28:02
On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

> Now that I've solved it the hard way, is there a list of what drives give
> ncrscsi difficulties?

I suspect it has more to do with total package of system/drive, rather
than simply the drive itself.

I had some horrendous problems trying to use my 2 gig Seagate Barracuda
with my SE/30. I discovered that the problems were twofold:

1. Something in the system can't handle drives larger than a certain size.
   Even if I split the drive into 256 meg partitions, it would still only
   work properly up to a certain arbitrary size that was at the same
   physical location, regardless of the partition structure. I sidestepped
   the problem by using a monolithic 512 meg partition and a 64 meg swap
   partition after that. The rest of the drive is in 2 MacOS partitions.
   Oh well - 512 megs is more than enough for this SE/30 anyway. :)

2. Something in the system didn't like the ncrscsi code. I kept getting
   random file system corruption with ncrscsi, and I feared that I had a
   defect-ridden drive. When I switched to the sbc-based ADBTEST 160
   kernel, these problems went away.

> I am just grateful that John W used the sbc in ADBTEST....

As am I.

-Isaac

--
Isaac Salpeter