Subject: Re: 3-button memory & adb fun
To: David Bushong <dbushong@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/1996 11:12:40
> Well, at least w/ my 3-button (Mouse Systems MacPoint Pro), nothing gets
> stored in "mouse memory"..  I set the buttons in MacOS control panel to
> have 2nd and 3rd do option-left and right, and when I boot into netbsd,
> they do their worthless defaults (non-option-left-arrow and right)  While
> it makes a really weird way to move around in a text editor, its left
> pretty much worthless other than that.

Maybe what we need is an adb program which can go groveling around and
change the defaults for mice & other stuff? Obviously we'd need to
know how to tell the mouse about changing the button clicks, but we
might be able to get that info (phone them up and say the mouse is going
back if you don't get a fix!).

In addition to supproting mice, I'd like to use it to get the reset
and debugger keys to work on my IIsi when I have my 3-button mouse
plugged in. It fakes a keyboard, and so the extended keyboard gets
moved to slot 15. I want to swap the keyboard and the extended
keyboard. ADB will support this, I think.

So some sort of way to generate arbitrary ADB commands would be
cool.

Take care,

Bill