Subject: Re: DeskWriter Printing...
To: Allan 'Norm' Crain <allanc@idea-inc.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/1996 10:39:03

> I have a DeskWriter C which is currently tied to my Mac because all of
> our AppleTalk network uses ethernet rather than localtalk. I was
> wondering, would it be possible to set a NetBSD Mac up as a printer
> spooler for the deskwriter? (The DWC has a serial mode, but RS-422 serial
> rather than RS-232 serial. It gets nasty when you try to toss it RS-232c)

Yes. The ghostscript distribution I put on ftp.macbsd.org kinda
shows how to set things up. Unfortunately I left a few of the
distribution files out of it, but it'll run anyway. Also, I left
one instruction out of the setup (and I've forgotten exactly which
one). When I get home, I'll try and dig them up.

I don't know if it works with a DeskWriter, but it might. If GhostScript
does, you're set!

I'd recomend using 1.2 or later. One thing which was added to 1.2 is the
ability to set baud rates correctly (it'll want 57600). Also, you'll
need a modified printcap entry from the one on puma; 1.2 supports
putting the "stty raw" mode flags in the printcap entry.

You can then use standard unix spooling for the printer, though the
files should either be postscript (using gs) or PCL.

I don't know about getting an AppleTalk spooler up as I don't really
know what the drivers say to each other. :-(

Take care,

Bill