Subject: Re: NetBSD on a IIci: booting help needed
To: None <port-mac68k-outgoing@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Vankirk <vankirk@toto.csustan.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/1996 00:44:12
  by netbsd1.cygnus.com with SMTP; 26 Oct 1996 07:41:13 -0000
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 00:44:12 -0700
To: port-mac68k-outgoing@netbsd.org
From: vankirk@toto.csustan.edu (Gary Vankirk)

Thanks to all for the responses. After Bob Nestor's original reply I looked
around a bit and then tried starting over, this time while watching it all.
I noticed an "invalid tar file" error, so apparently it could not extract
some stuff (even though it continued with other modules). I've downloaded
everything again and am starting over.

I dropped a note to Bob and he responded that since this is my first
attempt at setting up a UNIX machine (of any type) I should go with a
single root/usr partition. He also kindly included some other helpful
information. (Thanks, Bob)

I also picked up O'Reilly's "Essential System Administration", so I'll be
looking in there before buggin' you guys. (Though after looking at it, I'm
not sure how much help it will be. Can anyone recommend anything else?). I
did notice in it that "init" is a program, so I pulled up the man pages and
now know a _little_ bit more.

***

On other notes: is this list digested? Any possibility of NetBSD running on
an accelerated Classic?. I picked up a 40mhz board (030) for $99 and it
screams compared to the IIci (no PMMU in it, though).

Ciao for now,

--gv