Subject: Re: Printing
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Cole <tuc@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1996 11:11:37
John D Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu> writes:
]
] ~On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Jonathan Short wrote:
]
] >
] > Hi thanks to everybody for the help.  I looked on the Colin Woods list of
] > working/nonworking macs, and found that the PMMU is the Paged Memory
] > Management Unit.  ???.  But I guess that I don't really need to know what
] > it is, but simply how to find out if I have it on the Mac II, or else I
] > can't use it with MacBSD anyway.  So how can I find out if it has the PMMU?
]
] The mac has a pmmu if there is a chip labeled "MC68551" inside. Also,
] the program "sysenvy" will tell you so, it's a mac-side program and
] I know it is on sumex-aim.

Or just open the "Memory" control panel under MacOS and see if it
allows you to change Virtual Memory settings.  If so, the Mac has
a PMMU.  If not, it doesn't.  (This test only works under System
7, I guess.)

]                            There is a good chance that you do not
] have a pmmu, as it is not a standard feature, but they are not far
] too expensive to buy. Just hard to find.

Actually, the only time I've seen one for sale, it were rather
expensive, US$200 or so.  Perhaps that vendor was just gouging
the price.  (My Mac II had a PMMU already installed when I bought
it used.)

brian
--
 Brian A. Cole    |_   _  |  |  ___|    Visit Brian's Repository of