Subject: Re: popper question
To: Kei Fujitaka <fjtk@vinet.or.jp>
From: John Ostrowick <jon@macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1996 07:29:59

> the file ".jon.pop" in your mail spool may has wrong access privileges.
>
> Kei Fujitaka
> fjtk@vinet.or.jp

i looked at our SGIs to see what it made and saw this stuff, but it does
not seem to be generating these files at all, not even setting their
access privs. I understand these files ".uid.pop" are supposed to appear
in /usr/spool/mail or /var/spool/mail, from what is said in the readmes,
but

1. that directory didn't exist till i made it
2. even when i made it, popper did not make those files
3. even when i made those files using the touch command and set their
access privs such that they were fully owner-read-write, it still didn't
work and still gave the same error
4. i also find it strange that there are these files because mail for
pine/elm/mail is stored in /var/mail, not /var/spool/mail. It also wants a
file called POPqueue in one of these mail directories, but again, despite
providing it, i still got the error as mentioned in my earlier mail

very strange, that's why i asked the list :-)