Subject: Re: talk...
To: Mack Nagashima <mackn@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1996 14:34:57
On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Mack Nagashima wrote:

> 	I'm having problems with my talk program...  i'm hooked up via
> ppp and when i use talk i can't talk to anyone outside my system...
> talking to other users on my box is ok...but wen i try to talk other
> systems it keeps checking for invitations on caller's machine and never
> establishes any connection...although if someone from outside my system
> talk-requests someone on my system the announcement gets through....but i
> can't respond because it keeps checking for invitation..i'm using the 1.2
> binaries...with the GENERIC kernel..    so..what am i dong wrong?!  THanx
> for the helpp :)

I have an almost identical problem with ytalk under MkLinux.  It's
probably related, all things considered.  Ideas, anyone?  (Note, the same
version of ytalk works perfectly from a Sun SPARCstation, minus the
patches to read my domain name from an enviromnet variable so ppl can
talk back.  Oh, BTW, the talkd at the receiving site may check your
domain name for validity?)

Thoughts?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |