Subject: Re: Newbie questions
To: Philip Schielke <phisch@cs.rice.edu>
From: John Ostrowick <jon@macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1996 07:38:32
the underlining bug seemed to only happen to me when i connected to a
remote host and did a 'man' command.

as far as i know you have to have root and swap on the same disk, no
options there.

to get x to work, you need to make sure you have a .xinitrc file in your
home directory. .xinitrc is a script and should look something like this:

#! /bin/sh
#
xclock &
xterm &
xlogo &
twm &
xlogout

note that all items except the last must be backgrounded. when the last
item quits, therefore, x will quit. twm is the window manager. xlogout is
a script i wrote which uses the xmessage program, available for ftp on my
se/30, macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za, and it works by bringing up a dialog with
one button saying 'click to log out'. Since it is the last item in the
.xinitrc file, X quits when i click on that.

I am running xdm myself so i can support x logins over the network by more
than one user, but this requires that you have a load of special files in

/usr/lib/X11/xdm/

There are basically 2 ways to run X:

- set it up to run xdm all the time so it is always in X and you log in
from X
- set it up to log in with command-line and when you want X, you type
'startx'. this way, x exits when you quit the window manager (or whatever
happens to be the last item in .xinitrc)
with the first method, it goes back to the login screen instead. This is
my own preference. If you need more help i can mail you all the necessary
files plus some help docs.

John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. 1st Floor, Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 (011) 716-3783
jon@cs.wits.ac.za or jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za or jon@is.co.za
My web page is on my server's: http://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/
My ftp site: ftp://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/public partition/
My listserv: subscr@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za (any message with a body)