Subject: Re: Printing
To: Jonathan Short <jonathan@leviathan.ele.uri.edu>
From: John Ostrowick <jon@macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1996 16:08:00
it is possible to attach a mac printer to a unix machine if it will allow
it to be attached to the serial port. frinstance we succcessfully had (a
few years ago) a IIf attached to our SGI server. this will not help in a
situation where the mac users want to print because it forces the printer
to be attached to the unix machine. so you might want to look into getting
an ip aware printer like the 16'600 which can act as a remote unix host
and be specified as a printing host in printcap. that's currently how we
do it here. if your printer is not of this sort you will have to rty get
some other piece of s/w

sorry if that's not too helpful.

John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. 1st Floor, Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 (011) 716-3783
jon@cs.wits.ac.za or jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za or jon@is.co.za
My web page is on my server's: http://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/
My ftp site: ftp://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/public partition/
My listserv: subscr@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za (any message with a body)