Subject: Re: 1.2-current machine status update
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/1996 14:32:46
> Colin,
>
> I know you've been hit pretty hard with all the updates, suggestions,
> corrections, comments and such.  Sure hope is doesn't discourage you in
> your efforts.

Bob-

Don't worry, I'm not getting discouraged, just behind in my schoolwork ;-)

> It struck me that maybe one of the confusing things, especially for the
> first-time user, is which Kernel should be used or which ones work.  I
> know that there are some systems that are fully supported under both the
> GENERIC and ADBTEST Kernels, and I was wondering if it would be possible
> to list this info as well.  It's too bad we don't have a good version
> numbering scheme like John is now using on the ADBTEST Kernels. But that
> would require someone to periodically post GENERIC (and maybe GENERICSBC)
> Kernels.  It might be something to suggest to Scott Reynolds or maybe
> Steve Allen.  That way we'd have a consistent numbering of GENERIC
> Kernels that could be noted in your FAQ.  Something like: the LC520 works
> under ADBTEST#134 and GENERIC#58 instead of just saying 1.2+ or
> 1.2-current or just "-current".

Actually, on my last machine-status page (the one that is currently up on
puma), I have an actual kernel listed.  I was thinking of making a link
for the kernel column that points to where you can get the kernel or
something like that.  The reason why so much of the my current
machine-status doc is empty in the kernel column is that -current just
started last week and I haven't heard any information on how well the
-current GENERIC kernels work, nor has John released one of his ADBTEST
kernels based on -current code yet.  As soon as this info starts coming
in, I can update the page.

I'll have to write Scott and Steve and see what they were thinking of
doing with regards to -current kernels.  (Maybe I'll just cc: the list in
this reply ;-)  They have done a pretty good job of producing -current
kernels in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion.

P.S.  Since this is going to the list, does anyone else have suggestions
for handling what kernel a particular machine is recommended to run?