Subject: Re: Carrera040
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Janko Luin <janko.luin@abc.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/1996 17:30:20
> One relatively quick and painless way to find out is to do a test boot
> from the MacOS:
>
> 1) get a recent kernel (the 1.2 distribution kernel for example) and
> 	ungzip and untar it (Stuffit Expander might do both for you)
> 2) get a copy of the Booter utility (1.9.4 seems to work well)
> 3) in the Booting... preferences section of the booter, specify where in
> 	the MacOS your kernel is
> 4) boot from the booter and see how far you get.  if you get to a line
like:

> changing root device to /dev/sd?a
>
> then it looks like the kernel currently supports your machine.  If not,
> I'm sure someone would be interested in seeing how far it gets instead.

Oh, maybe I forgot to mention that I've already installed the lot - it works
beautifully without the Carrera040 driver installed. =)

However, this is how far it got on boot, with extra debugging info:

[ preserving 9836 bytes of netbsd symbol tables ]
Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
Getting mapping from MMU.
System RAM: 17498112 bytes in 4272 pages
     Low = 0x4000000, high = 0x4f8000
     Low = 0x50000, high = 0x100000
  Video address = 0xfee08000
  Int video starts at 0xfee08000
  Length = 0x50000 (327680) bytes
Done.
Bootstrapping the pmap system.
Pmap bootstrapped.
Moving ROMbase from 0x40800000 to 0x9b4000.
Video address 0xfee08000 -> 0xbb4000.

...and then it stopped.

Some info: The card is a LC040, 66MHz internally. It's hooked up as PDS (of
course), on an expander card allowing either one PDS and one NuBus, or two
NuBus (I think). All I have on it is a Carrera card, no cache added. (There
is an empty cache slot on the Carrera040 card.)

I would appreciate any help, because I don't really consider myself such a
really great programmer, and therefore I doubt that I could do anything on
my own. =)