Subject: Re: Carrera040
To: Janko Luin <janko.luin@abc.se>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1996 14:18:17
> When I'm in MacOS, my MicroMac Carrera040 does wonders for the speed of an
> si. Now I'm just curious: Has anyone as yet managed to get a IIsi going with
> Carrera040 in NetBSD?

I don't think I've heard of anyone using this particular piece of
hardware under MacBSD yet.

> I just thought it might be wise to check before I start doing things I don't
> really know yet. =)

One relatively quick and painless way to find out is to do a test boot
from the MacOS:

1) get a recent kernel (the 1.2 distribution kernel for example) and
	ungzip and untar it (Stuffit Expander might do both for you)
2) get a copy of the Booter utility (1.9.4 seems to work well)
3) in the Booting... preferences section of the booter, specify where in
	the MacOS your kernel is
4) boot from the booter and see how far you get.  if you get to a line like:

changing root device to /dev/sd?a

then it looks like the kernel currently supports your machine.  If not,
I'm sure someone would be interested in seeing how far it gets instead.

Later.