Subject: Re: configuration question
To: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/1996 19:26:34
> So, here is my question:
>
> what options among
>
> options         M68040
> options         M68030
> options         M68020          # Must have 68851 PMMU
> options         FPSP
> options         FPU_EMULATE
>
> are really options and what options must always be present? I remember
> some time ago I got a nice song out my Mac when I disabled floating
> point options and tried to reboot.
>
>       Taras Ivanenko.

I am not sure how much your problems depend on the fact that it is
-current you want to build. Apparently there has been considerable havoc
among the many changes from 1.2 to -current (access rights - sup just
died on me because of some Alpha file it couldn't read - unresolved
references, missing includes and others). The -current sources I have
here (mirror: wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de) don't build.

On my SE/30, a rather minimal development kernel compiled happily with

makeoptions     CC="cc -m68030 -m68881"

and

options         COMPAT_43
options         COMPAT_12
options         M68030
options         MACHINE_NONCONTIG

from 1.2 sources.

I noticed, though, that leaving out the SysV IPC options prevents the
machine from rebooting: 'reboot' hangs when trying to sync disks, and
'shutdown -r now' shuts down the machine but fails to reboot. Maybe
there is some MMU mapping problem here?

        hauke

--
"It's never straight up and down"  (DEVO)