Subject: Return of some problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1996 12:27:45
I remember these two problems being discussed, but I don't remember the
solutions.

I have a MacIIci with an internal 230MB disk and an external 40MB disk
(20MB RAM, Cache card, Asante MacCon 3 Ethernet card).  The system
basically boots OK.  The network stuff seems to work fine.  (I do have the
conflicts that Greg Earle reported, but I need the Ethernet to download the
MacBSD stuff in the first place, and it seems to settle out.)

Problem 1:      I have the external 40MB drive partitioned as *all* swap,
not even a Mac driver partition.  I can newfs sd1b and all seems
reasonable, except that it can't find the swap partition during boot.  The
relevant parts of the boot seem to be:

NetBSD 1.2 (GENERIC) #68: Sat Sep 14 20:21:34 PDT 1996
    root2@wormhole:/disk2/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh IIci  (68030)
real mem = 20905984
avail mem = 17031168
[..snip..]
ncrscsi0 at obio0
scsibus0 at ncrscsi0
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, LP240S GM240S01X, 6.3> SCSI2 0/direct fi
xed
sd0: 234MB, 1818 cyl, 4 head, 65 sec, 512 bytes/sec
sd1 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <QUANTUM, P40S 940-40-94xx, A.2> SCSI1 0/direct fi
xed
sd1: 40MB, 834 cyl, 3 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec
[..snip..]
Changing root device to sd0a.
PRAM: 0x32653a3c, macos_boottime: 0x32653a31.
WARNING: no swap space found
[..snip..]
swapon: /dev/sd1b: device not configured

I get the same results if I leave the driver partition in place, no
surprise.  My fstab is:

/dev/sd0a       /       ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd1b       none    swap    sw 0 0
kern            /kern   kernfs  rw 0 0
proc            /proc   procfs  rw 0 0

The disklabel for the drive is:

macbsd-IIci:hotz {54} disklabel sd1
# /dev/rsd1c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 3
sectors/cylinder: 96
cylinders: 834
total sectors: 82029
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

2 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  b:    81965       64      swap                        # (Cyl.    0*- 854*)
disklabel: boot block size 0
disklabel: super block size 0
disklabel: warning, unused partition c: size 82029 offset 0

I thought the GENERIC kernels were supposed to support this kind of
configuration.  I also thought I had tried it with a mid 1.0 to 1.1 kernel
and it worked a couple of years ago, but then the brain isn't what it used
to be.

BTW these are both Apple drives, formatted and partitioned with Apple
software.  I'm using the ncrscsi driver, but I don't think it's the
problem.

Problem 2:      Both the screen and telnet connections seem to get confused
by screen formatting commands.  The screen seems to choose underlining or
reverse video randomly when I do a man.  I had one telnet session where vi
didn't get the "terminal" into raw mode and I had to type carriage returns
after everything to get it interpreted.

Is there some configuration I need to set to get consistent results?