Subject: Re: enabling IIci cache card
To: Steven Campbell <scampbel@astral.magic.ca>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1996 01:26:38
> I've recently built my own kernel that enabled the IIci's L2 cache.
> I have noticed that video performance in X is noticeably faster.  I turned
> on the OpaqueMove option in .twmrc to get an idea of how much quicker the
> video was.  When I did this before on my IIci, the video was noticeably
> delayed and could not keep up to the cursor movement at all.  With the
> caches enabled, the video is much closer to being able to follow the cursor
> around the screen when you drag a window.

Congratulations!  Hopefully, the work on the Daystar PowerCache will
achieve similar results.

> Some serious side effects though are that none of the systat functions,
> such as iostat, vmstat, pigs, work reliably, and they all give a memory
> allocation error.

Sorry, don't know how to fix this ;-)

> And on boot, I get savecore: can't find device 0/0.
> But the troubles seem worth it.  The machine is noticeably quicker.

I think that this is a result of the "dumps on sd??" or whatever line in
your config file.  If you ever get /netbsd itself to dump core, it will
dump to the dump device (it's actually quite scary when it happens; I've
done it once).  Perhaps it is improperly specified in your config file.
Of course, I'm not too knowledgable about this little area of system
administration, so perhaps someone with a little more experience will
speak up.

Later.