Subject: Re: X Shift key weirdness
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/16/1996 12:32:19
Scott Reynolds wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, David Bushong wrote:
>
> >       I don't know if this is in an faq somewhere, but are the shift
> > keys differentiated under X?  Or do Mac ADB keybds send the same signal?
>
> Both shift keys have the same scan code, and are consequently seen as
> Shift_L.  There is a way to change this on the Apple Extended Keyboard
> (and Extended Keyboard II, I'd presume), but we currently don't have any
> way to do that.

There is an ADB command that you can send to the extended keyboards
that will do this. I think you tell it that it's device handler id
is 3 instead of 2 or something silly like that. I've got it written
down somewhere at home.

Adding support for things like this, as well as more mouse support,
it something I hope to do soon. These particular changes are
independant of which method is used to access ADB, so everyone
will be able to use them once I check them into the kernel sources.

The questions are:
1. What changes will have to be made to the X server or dt if the
   left and right shift/control/etc keys send different keycodes.
2. If the kernel detects an extended keyboard, should turning on
   these additional keycodes be the default behavior?

	--John