Subject: iwm driver status, lkm stuff
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/16/1996 01:36:42
Hi kernel-hackers,

just a quick progress info:
As of this evening, my low-level driver routines can seek and read a
sector from an 800K GCR disk correctly.

I've made rapid progress in the last few days which was only possible
because I managed to rip the driver out of the kernel and hammered it
into an LKM. (It's the first one for MacBSD, and the first disk driver
lkm known to me.)

This has cut down turnaround times by a factor of ten (10), and I have
yet to experience my first kernel crash; it is definitely the way to go
for efficient driver development.

I am planning to put up some module for ftp as soon as it actually
_does_ something. If there is serious interest for an example for an LKM
disk driver, I may be talked into scribbling down some notes and putting
up what I have now. (Some room to spare on Puma's disks?)

Good night,

                hauke

--
"It's never straight up and down"  (DEVO)