Subject: Re: Mkfs fails if SCSI ID !=0 ?
To: Stephen J. Alexander <Stephen.J.Alexander@Dartmouth.EDU>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/1996 18:33:59
>Yesterday as I was installing 1.2 (I'm a total newbie to macbsd) I ran into a
>spot of trouble with Mkfs. I was getting 'Error on SCSIselect(), 2' etc when
>the drive I was installing to was on ID 1, no problem on ID 0. I wasn't
>able to
>try other IDs as the drive is a little wonky... but anyway, has anyone seen
>this before? If it's important, I was installing from a Performa 636/601
>upgrade running 7.5.5. The install-to disk is a Quantum 425S. Now that I've
>sucessfully installed, The dist seems to boot and run okay on my IIsi (with
>some exceptions but that's another story which I will write about later).
>Any info is, of course, appreciated.

I'm looking into some of the problems with Mkfs and this is on my list.
There are at least two things that cause this to happen in Mkfs.  First,
the SCSI command sequence used to chat with the disk doesn't totally
agree with the Mac documentation.  When I fixed this in my version of
Mkfs, the errors disappeared on one of my drives.  The second source of
the error still eludes me, but I've got an idea I'm going to try.
According to the SCSI-2 documentation the Mode Sense can return vendor
specific "data pages" unless this feature is disabled in the Mode Sense
command buffer.  At present this is not being disabled so it's possible
this is the source of the second problem.

BTW, I don't see this error on my NEC disk, just my Quantum with Apple
ROMs.  Since you're seeing it on a Quantum as well, I might be onto
something here.  Does anyone else have some obversations they'd like to
contribute?

Thanks,
-bob