Subject: Re: Rethinking installing (was Re: Installation Help Idea)
To: None <sparta@imsa.edu>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1996 20:37:27
>In fact, we do support a lot of hardware in various kernels.  We have
>distributions which do cool things with intvideo, adb, and fpuless as well as
>daystar machines.  However, none of this code has been merged into line with
>the source tree. And, as such, is not supported by NetBSD/mac68k.

Well, I feel the same way. That's why the last round of intvid code was
put up for entry into the source tree. Alot of the code that is in test
kernels hasn't made it into GENERIC because they're not 100% tested for
all machines or they aren't made to be flexible with older code that still
might work. I'm trying to make all my code fit into the source tree while
being expandable and as innocuous as possible to people lacking the hardware
it supports.

>Also, one idea I have for making a better install process is to shift the
>focus from a MacOS installer to a miniroot in MacOS.  Once partitions are
>made, one could boot to the miniroot and follow through some well-written
>install scripts to newfs the filesystem and start the copy of binaries in.  We
>could much more easilly break the distirbution down into packages then.

Well, this is how Linux does it's install. You download what is essentially
a Minix boot disk and install the whole mess from there. This is actually
important for a completely independant system (i.e. if you got a boot disk
you could install BSD without MacOS at all)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill