Subject: Re: Status of PowerBook 165c ?
To: None <Edouardo.Tabacman@bdl.fr>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1996 17:50:34
On Thu, 10 Oct 1996 Edouardo.Tabacman@bdl.fr wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is any version of NetBSD that would work
> on a PowerBook 165c?

Not quite yet (AFAIK).

> I tried installing NetBSD1.2, but it didn't work.
> I see that in the FAQ it is listed as working "serial console only".
> What does that mean, exactly?

That basically means that you can connect a vt100-compatible terminal or a
Mac running a terminal program like Z-Term and use the system (albeit
without X), but that the internal keyboard and/or display isn't supported
yet.  In the case of the 165, the intvidtest kernels support the internal
video, I think, and the keyboard _should_ just be a matter of getting the
ROM vectors (using the MRG method).  Hopefully, all the PowerBooks will be
supported soon.

Note that the internal video support for many PowerBooks is still not in
the main source tree (last I heard), so it will, no doubt, require a
special kernel once it's fully supported.

You might try ADBtest 160.  I don't know whether adb will work on that one
or not.  Give it a shot.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |