Subject: Re: Are NetBSD and the MacOS in perpetual battle over the clock?
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1996 15:16:48

> When I boot NetBSD 1.2, the time is all whacko.  At the moment I do an
> "rdate" of a Stratum 2 NTP server closeby at the end of /etc/rc.local to
> set things to right.  But if I then reboot, the MacOS time is correct in
> the minutes (and seconds), but it's 14 hours ahead of proper local time!
> Since I'm currently at +7 hours from GMT/UTC, this makes no sense to me.
> So, of course, I go into the "Date & Time" Control Panel and fix it.  Sure
> enough, if I then boot NetBSD the clock is all off again - only now (last time
> I checked), the NetBSD clock time was like 4 hours and 30-odd minutes away
> (I forget which direction) from the correct time!  I always see stuff like

Wait! You're in the US; we're all (-) from GMT! Note: the default for
time offsets in the Map CP is a negative offset, since it was written in
the US. :-) Try setting the offset in the booter to -7*60 and see if
things go better.

> PRAM: 0x325c68fb, macos_boottime: 0x325c68f0.
> WARNING: Battery clock has earlier time than UNIX fs.
>
> Should I try zapping the PRAM?  Or is this just "one of those things" that
> I'll perpetually need to keep readjusting, depending on the environment?  :-(
> It's a pain, not to mention the fact that it means the timestamp messages are
> wrong until the "rdate" kicks in.

I've got it worked out. The only quirk is that, since 7.1 doesn't really
support DST, I've had to set the local offset in the map CP to be 7 hours,
even though it should be 8 for CA.

Good luck!

Bill