Subject: Annoying problems with root partition...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason W. Fogt, WWC RCA <jwfogt@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1996 13:56:35
Hello everyone.  I have recently experienced some problems with my system
as I moved from having 3 drives (1 internal, 2 external) to having only 1
drive.  Let me explain what I did, and what my current problem is:

In brief:  My system used to have 3 drives.  The internal (SCSI id 0) was
an old Miniscribe (20M) which had only a MacOS partition.  The first
external (SCSI id 2) was a 1G drive (I forget who made it).  The second
external was a Quantum 80M (used to be an apple internal, I changed the
SCSI id to 4).  The 1G drive had 3 NetBSD partitions, a,d, and g, and the
80M drive had 2 partions, a and b.  The a partion on the 80M drive used to
be the root partion, and the b partion there used to be the swap.  This
worked fine.  Unfortunately, I had another computer that had need of the
80M external drive and my cables connecting the external drives, so I had
to remove both of them.  Here is what I did:

	I made two new partions on the 1 G drive one for swap and one for
the new root partion.  I then moved the 1G drive to the internal bay, and
changed its SCSI id to 0.  I also updated /etc/fstab and such.  The 1 Gig
drive now has partitions that look like this:

	sd0a   ~300M  /misc
	sd0b   ~60M   swap
	sd0c   unused
	sd0d   ~200M  MacOS Partition
	sd0e   ~250M  /usr
	sd0f   ~50M   /
	sd0g   ~250M  /var

The problem lies in getting this all to work.  The booter (I have tried
both 1.9 and 1.9.4) seems to not recognize sd0a (which my partitioning
software tells me is partion #0).  Thus, it tries to boot off of sd0f,
which is fine, and what I really wish it would do.  However, the kernal
(and I have even compiled a custom kernal where I specify that the root
partion is on sd0f), wants to change the root partion to sd0a.  This is
very annoying.  In order to get the system to work, I essentially have to
have a copy of the root partion (or at least a minimal one) on both /sd0f
and /sd0a.  This is far from optimal.  Could someone either tell me how to
get the booter to recognize sd0a (partion #0) or to set the root partion
as sd0f ?  Either one of these solutions would be greatly appreciated.  I
have pounded my head up against the wall several times on this one with no
success, so even if you can offer minimal help, it would be greatly
appreciated.

	If you need any further details/ logs of stuff, don't hesitate to
e-mail me at jwfogt@midway.uchicago.edu and ask.  Oh, I am running a 1.2
kernal.  Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Jason W. Fogt
jwfogt@midway.uchicago.edu
	--or--
jwfogt@ivcf.uchicago.edu

Jason W. Fogt             |"What then shall we say in response to this -  If
jwfogt@midway.uchicago.edu| God is for us, who can be against us ?" - Rom. 8:31