Subject: Re: Rethinking installing (was Re: Installation Help Idea)
To: None <sparta@imsa.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1996 11:39:54
sparta@imsa.edu wrote:

> I think the best way to build up a better installer and isntlal process is to
> build a more robust kernel (as has already been suggested).  Either put
> together an EVERYTHING kernel for the distribution or wait til the persons
> writing things like ADBTEST and intvidtest are ready to put in mainline
> NetBSD.

This is the goal. In fact, most of the ADB code could be merged into
the official source tree right now. This actually was the plan except
the 1.2 release unfortunately coinsided with my move across the country,
so I was not able to work on it.

The problem is that certain machines work only with the official
MRG code. Other machines work only with the ADBTEST code. We don't
want to make the ADBTEST code part of the official source until
we know it won't make someone's machine (specifically ADB) stop working.
I haven't had time to sit down and verify that everything works in
ADBTEST that works with MRG.

It seems like you are suggesting that things like ADBTEST and intvidtest
not even be announced until they are part of the official code. There
are two problems with this.

First, I personally don't have access to all the Mac models, and so
I can't test every machine with my new code. I depend on the
NetBSD community to help test it. I have been toying with the idea
of a more limited "beta test" list for the ADBTEST kernels, however.

Second, everyone on this list is so eager to get NetBSD working on
their system that many don't care if they need to try 10 different
kernels to find one that works on their particular model. It's hard
to delay announcing something when there is such a clammering for
support for new models.

To me, "Mainline NetBSD" is the released versions, 1.1 or 1.2.
All the "test" kernels that are floating around are -current kernels,
and I think most people on this list realize that -current is
equivilant to "beta". Efforts to improve installation, etc. should
be focused on using the released versions, not any -current kernels,
such as ADBTEST or intvidtest.

Just my $.02,

	--John