Subject: Re: Installation Help Idea...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1996 13:47:52
>On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:
>
>> That doesn't really contain enough information on _current_ kernels to
>> help, I don't think.  The big question is, what drives work with sbc,
>> which with ncrscsi, which with both, which with neither....
>
>One recurring theme that seems to be coming up with any SCSI driver (and
>plaguing at least 2, perhaps 3 NetBSD ports) is:  Quantum disks.  I've
>just recently heard reports that Quantum violates the SCSI spec, but
>unfortunately I don't know how they're doing that.  This would, however,
>cause problems with drivers that are implemented to specification. :-(
>
>--scott

My quantum trailblazer 840 has never given me any problems, even with the
old ncrscsi driver which I am still using.  My curent up time is 13 days,
and it is only that becuase of recent lightning strikes.  I think much more
attention needs to be paid to this question, I have half a dozen quantums
in this and other systems, and I have had no trouble.  It must be more
complex than just quantums don't follow spec, if that is even correct.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu
My home page