Subject: Re: CD-ROM and Rock Ridge extensions
To: Cameron Mellor <Cameron-Mellor@deshaw.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1996 13:53:28
> I happen to have a CD-ROM full of UNIX source that I'd like to get
> into MacBSD.  Unfortunately, it's an ISO-9660(?) disk, the filenames
> on it are all DOS format (mutter mutter), and I don't really want to
> go through changing them all to match the makefiles.
>
> The book it came with ("UNIX Unleashed" - how *butch*) mentions the
> "Rock Ridge" extensions that will allow automatic expansion of the DOS
> names to UNIX names.
>
> So my questions are:
>
>  . Can I mount CD-ROMs in MacBSD? (I haven't seen any traffic about
>    this on the list in the last 3 months, and I can't find anything in
>    the FAQs, but as before, I live in hope.)

Try it.

Look at man mount to see the fs name, then mount -t fstype /dev/cd0c /cdrom
(I'm away from the source, so I'll not guess the file type; it's the
one with 9660 in the name).

I got 4.4BSD source from O'Riely, and it worked fine. Lowercase names and
all.

Then, if your kernel supports it, try
mount -t union /place/for/compiled/code /cdrom, and then go into /cdrom
and start compiling. the "union" file system was made to explicitly
support compiling off of CD-ROM. :-)

Take care,

Bill