Subject: Installation Help Idea...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christopher J Mason <cmason+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1996 16:02:51
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-mac68k: 8-Oct-96
Demand-dial PPP by Aaron Mansheim@runet.edu
> (Wouldn't it be nice if there were
> a CGI somewhere that would tell what kernel your hardware requires?)

Funny, I just had this idea today, thinking about things that I could do
to "give back" to port-mac68k now that I have a working machine (uptime:
8+ days !!!!).

I was thinking along the lines of a configuration script that would walk
you through the process of downloading, formatting, installing, and
running a netbsd system.  You would choose your machine type,
perpipherals, networking, and such and it would choose the right kernel
and installation options for you.  Then it would lead you through the
steps... We could make sure things like Mode32 and such were setup
correctly...

If we got really ambitious we could even control installation of
optional packages, some programs and stuff...

I'd be happy to do this kind of thing.  I'd need to actually have the
configuration info tho.  Could we figure something out using the systems
database on Puma??

I think this is an excellent idea, but it would have to be updated
regularly.  If we could make it modular enough to be updated with, say,
an email, does that sound feasible??

Just a thought.

-c
|Chris Mason - cmason@nyx.net  cmason@cmu.edu  http://ros.res.cmu.edu |
|"You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."-Nabokov|