Subject: Re: Tape Drives
To: Greg Putrich <gregp@primenet.com>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/06/1996 21:37:15
> On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> > Ah, this is the problem ... Pay special attention to this ... it didn't
> > assign a driver to the device, because it doesn't report itself as
> > a sequential access device.
> >
> > Also, not the ILLEGAL REQUEST errors from the tape ... these happen
> > when the SCSI layer is asking about devices at other luns on the
> > target... At the very least, it needs a SDEV_NOLUNS quirk...
>
> Nuts. Is this something that can be tinkered with in the source code, or
> is it a problem with the way the drive was designed and therefore will
> never work under NetBSD?

Ummm... This may even have been an issue years ago on a macbsd mailing
list. I remember something along the lines of ...SC40 tries to behave
like a hard disk...
The streamer is so old it is definitely not SCSI 2 and perhaps not even
CCS (Common Command Set) conformant. Commercial developers (Retrospect)
may simply have added a hack for it.

I also remember seeing something on a HAM flea market two years ago that
looked like a stripped SC40: A normal (floppy) streamer with a huge
controller board attached to it. I almost bought it  - but then, 40
MB... :)

        hauke

--
"It's never straight up and down"  (DEVO)