Subject: Re: "low level" access for testing
To: None <jpw@netscape.com>
From: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/04/1996 11:13:35
John,

> Is there anyway to compile a code snippet from with NetBSD,
> and then run it, as if it was part of the kernel? That means
> access to all memory, etc. That way, perhaps I won't have to
> reboot twice for every little change I attempt with the ADB
> code.

YES! there is such thing, it is called LKM (Loadable Kernel
Module). Look in /usr/share/lkm for
the documentation and examples. The only problem with it is that it
needs single-user mode to work. Putting aside discussions if this
security feature is a good idea, I wrote another LKM to toggle the
security switch. The kernel side of the interface is in
/sys/kern/kern_lkm.c and is enabled by 'options LKM'. I was
considering putting NuBus color video driver into LKM but never went
too far on tthis road.

	Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>