Subject: Re: Frustrations trying to install 1.2, or Why Is "mkfs" Trashing My Disk
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/03/1996 09:30:59
> The reason that we use native Mac partitions is, well, known only by the
> Alice Group (though Allen might enlighten us). But Apple set up a partitioning
> system that is sufficiently powerful to let our partitions, MacOS partitions,
> and even MSDOS partitions co-exist. So why not use it?

Basically.  It's more rational, IMO, to have only one partition table.
The A/UX partition tables were there and it made it much easier to
bootstrap.  The first MacBSD kernels were compiled under A/UX 2.0,
and copied into the root directory.  The booter read the kernel from
the A/UX (ufs) partition directly and booted from there.

I've given serious thought to a native BSD disklabel, but I think it
only makes sense when you're formatting the whole disk.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com