Subject: Internal video display problems on a IIci
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jbyler@MIT.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/02/1996 18:21:38
OK, my NetBSD system is slowling becoming more and more usable.
Thanks to all who helped with the networking stuff.  Now I've hit a
new roadblock.  Actually, I haven't messed with this one much because
I don't know where to start.

The basic problem is general display corruption.  If I display a man
page with more or run a visual editor such as pico or jove or try to
use lynx, I will have inappropriate portions of the display in reverse
video or underlined.  The same thing happens if I telnet out to a
remote system.  Emacs and jove are usable only because if I ^L a few
times every now and then, the display will get cleaned up.  Inserting
text in emacs or jove appears to overwrite old text, but this is only
a display problem, as the old text reappears correctly after ^L.
Also, the display will sometimes get locked into a reverse-video mode
so that the shell prompt and everything that gets displayed is
inverted.  This will sometimes get fixed if I log out and log back in
or if I telnet to a remote machine.  Also, the computer will sometimes
stop echoing typed characters.  This also corrects itself if I log out
and back in.

All this happens only if I am logged in locally.  If I telnet in from
a remote computer, everything looks great and acts fine.

I'm running NetBSD 1.2, fresh from the 1.2 distribution including the
generic 1.2 kernel that came with the distribution, on a MacIIci,
using the built in video card.  I guess I'll try other kernels, such
as intvidtest if I can find it.  I might also consider building my own
kernel so I can make use of the IIci cache card, if this is possible
and not too difficult.  Sorry if this is all standard stuff; is there
a more comprehensive faq out there somewhere that I just missed?

OK, thanks in advance for your help.  I have a few other questions on
unrelated topics but I'll put them in separate messages to keep
threads separate.

-Jesse