Subject: Re: Getting a MacII in the air
To: Roger Westerlund <roger@dataton.se>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/01/1996 14:53:22
Here is my list of all-time-favorite tips

1.	Make sure you boot with extensions off.
	* Note users of mode32 should take advantage of Apple's Extensions
	Mgr and create a special setting for NetBSD that only loads
	mode32 and the memory control panel. *

2.	Make sure 32 bit addressing is on.
3.	Try 1-bit video
4.	Try removing any non-apple video cards
5.	Try internal video with no cards at all, where applicable.
6.	On 020 systems, make sure you have a PMMU
	(this does not apply, as you have an 030 accellerator card)

That setup really should work.

> I get no clues from the booter and I never get any display (I don't

When you select booting, does it even open the window and tell you
MID_m68k executable (or whatever)?  If not, download a new copy of the
booter.  If it gets that far, but hangs where NetBSD would take over, it
could be anything listed above, plus it might be a bad kernel.  You also
didn't mention what kernel you're using.  I believe I remember reading
that the PowerCache should work with the newer kernels (but don't quote me
on that)... say anything summer or later.  Try one of the 1.2 Generics
(sbc recommended) and see if that helps.

> think it gets that far either) so, I'm completely clueless. I have never
> managed to use the functions serial echo or serial console, how do I do
> that?

Serial echo doesn't work, I don't think, unless it's been put back
recently.  Serial console... should not be necessary on a mac II, but
basically, just set up a computer or terminal or whatever connected to the
selected port, 9600 8N1.  After that, all the console information should
be dumped to the terminal instead of the internal screen.  Same with the
terminal's keyboard instead of the internal one.  If all else fails, try
using printer ports on both computers.  I don't know why, but that's cured
some really weird problems I've had (PB145<-->Classic II).

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |