Subject: Re: IBM 3540
To: Christopher J Mason <cmason+@CMU.EDU>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/27/1996 20:29:37
> Does anyone out there see any problems with using an IBM 3540 (540mb)
> drive with NetBSD-current?  Since -current chews up and spits out my
> Quantum Lightning, i thought I'd try another drive I had.

I haven't been able to closely follow this list for the last three
months or so, but since when has NetBSD/mac68k become so pickey about
the SCSI devices?  My still-in-mid-May current kernel works fine with
a Fujitsu 1080M (M2964ES, I think), a Quantum FireBall 1080M, and
another Quantum, a Lightning 800M.  I'm aware that there was a
relatively large SCSI driver change or two while I wasn't paying
attention to MacBSD's development, though.

While it may be possible for the driver to choke on certain
peculiarities of certain SCSI devices, I'd suggest that everyone who
has experienced SCSI troubles try to check their SCSI chain and bus
termination before dumping their drives.  I recommend having an active
terminator or a drive that has an active terminator bult in, at the
end of the SCSI chain.  Remember, you should have exactly one bus
terminator at each end of the chain, and one end is usually the
Macintosh itself.  So, you need exactly one terminator at the farest
end of SCSI chain from your computer.  Two is worse than one in this
case.

["you" in this post means collective "you" who've experienced SCSI
problems, not anyone in particular]

Oh, and, NetBSD appeared much more sensitive to the SCSI bus condition
than MacOS, at least last time when I struggled against abrupt
filesystem corruption which appears to be solved by getting an
external drive with an active terminator.  So, don't be so sure that
your SCSI chain is OK even if it works perfectly fine under MacOS.

ken