Subject: Re: Extended ADB Protocol
To: David Bushong <dbushong@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hbhotz@oxy.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/22/1996 16:50:48
At 2:21 PM 9/22/96, David Bushong wrote:
>This term (Extended ADB Protocol) gets thrown around a lot..  I assumed
>from the description on the three-button I just ordered (A/UX mouse
>bindings), that the second and third buttons just "typed" option-left and
>option-right...  Is the EADBP the same thing, or actual new "codes" for
>the second and third buttons.  Does netbsd support the former?  (I'd
>assume, since its the same as typing... but you never know..)

>From what I remember Ken Nakata saying they are completely different.
EADBP is an Apple "Standard" for how to do multi-button mice on the ADB.

On the other hand, if the 2&3rd buttons actually pretend to be be keyboard
operations on the ADB then they might still work.  If a special MacOS
driver is installed to do the translation then they probably won't because
the driver doesn't stay around under BSD.

>One last question:  does netbsd completely ignore Option and Command
>except in terms of option-arrow?  Is there anyway to turn one of them
>into an alt key?

On my keyboard the Option key is labeled Alt. . .

If you can figure out the key mappings for X you should be able to do
anything you want.  Isn't xmodmap the command?

This is a private communication.
finger hbhotz@bobcat.cc.oxy.edu for PGP key.