Subject: Re: Which Quantum's don't work?
To: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/1996 18:56:24
At 16:32 Uhr 18.09.1996, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>There have been discussons of various Quantum disk models that suffer
>significant data corruption under current (1.2-beta) m68k kernels.  Could
>the list chime with which models are affected?  I know one person said
>early model Empire's had problems and Fireball's were OK.

Uhh, careful, careful...

In front of all this you should paint a big _YMMV_. It was me who mentioned
the Empire (which btw. has always run fine for me, but I've read about
hardware problems on current-user and interface problems with some newer
(Power) Macintoshes elsewhere).
I mentioned the Fireball as its successor, but I can't say anything on its
reliability. Its SCSI interface is crippled in terms of performance, i.e.
the physical data rate on the outer zones is higher than the max speed of
the SCSI chip, but we're talking about 5 MB/sec here -- not really relevant
for 68030 Macs.

IMHO this is more of a driver than a hardware issue.
Nevertheless, it might be a good idea to collect empirical data.

>Is this problem expected to be fixed before 1.2 is finalized?

Not really. Work on it :)

	hauke

---