Subject: Re: SBC probs
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1996 10:58:01
On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Allen Briggs wrote:

.. [ Note on the SCSI problems...  I know that the ncrscsi driver has
..   problems.  I'm 99+% sure that they're mac68k-specific and I also don't
..   have any good way to try and reproduce the problems right now, or the
..   time to work on it if I could.  Please work on it if you can...
..   (that's not a specific "you"--it means anyone who reads this). ]
..
.. -allen
..

I don't know whether or not this is of any help:

I have a disk that over the summer started to generate file system errors,
in particular after doing system builds. This disk (Apple 160MB) used to
hold /usr/src. When the problem arised, the symptoms were bad inode
entries (e.g. files with impossible attributes). The file system believed
itself to be consistent, but fsck -f would find (and correct) the
problems. On my two other disks (La Cie 240 MB, Apple ca. 250 MB) I never
saw this problem.

I switched the usage of the disk to let it have /usr/obj.mac68k instead
of /usr/src to make any data losses easier recoverable. It continued to
exhibit intermittent data corruptions, typically to be found by the
nightly cron jobs (running find) after having done builds after updating
my sources.

I could not verify media problems, and at some point in time, I decided
to use the SBC SCSI driver. Since then the problem has disappeared
completely.

I am not much of a SCSI hacker, but if anyone has any solutions or things
to test, I migth be in a position to help a bit. But don't expect too
much -- I have never seen the problem arise, just the traces of the
problem several hours after it has been introduced.

In my case the problem seems to be bound to one out of three disks if that
is a hint to anyone.

regards
Erik Bertelsen