Subject: Re: Bob's questions on PPP
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@leech.q7.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/1996 10:55:41
> Anyway, the wrong answer (my answer) to how to get ppp working: delete all
> the fancy replace strings and code your username and password directly
> into ppp-chat. I think I also had to make sure the chat script did the
> proper ping-ponging, i.e. "<expect stuff>" "<sent stuff>"... Or is
> that "<sent stuff>" first? Check the man page. I think things were out of
> sync somewhere in ppp-chat.

Well, I won't disagree with your opening statement about the quality of
that fix; the only way the replace strings will break is if your
name or password contains a character which breaks sed. "'" or '"'
would be the only ones that I think would be a problem (or "/"
when it is the seperator).

Making sure that the chat script does the right ping-ponging IS EXACTLY
THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!!! It's "<expect>" "<send>". Also, an
expect of "" means jsut send the send part.

Take care,

Bill