Subject: Re: SBC probs
To: Steven Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/1996 10:10:18
> I had a Quantum Lightning 730 internal drive that was about 7 months old
> that I had similar problems with.  It would work fine on the MacOS side but
> under NetBSD it would develop medium errors and bad block problems.  I
> would eventually end up testing and reformatting it with Silverlining and
> it would work fine for a few weeks, then have the same problems again.
> Eventually it developed errors that Silverlining was unable to fix.

Hmm. I've seen a couple of messages about problems with Quantum 730's,
and wanted to add one data point for the other side. So far, I've
been runnig my NetBSD system w/ a <QUANTUM, LIGHTNING 730S, 241E>
w/o problems (related to the drive ;-) . Since I'm writing this note
on my NetBSD system, it might choose to act up, but my setup
has been stable.

I've got an old Conner 40 Apple drive in my IIsi, and the Quantum,
my Toshiba 3401 CD, and a Quantum LPS 240 all in an external case
(a clone mini tower from NCA).

I'm not sure what to suggest for other folks who've had problems.
Hopefully, though, someone can make sense of all our different
observations.

Take care,

Bill