Subject: Re: SBC probs
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/1996 14:34:08
>To throw in another POV, I've had similar problems with my brand-spanking-
>new (Quantum) internal drive on my PB145, both with NCRSCSI and sbc,
>but the drive checks out fine.  Redoing mkfs makes the problem go away for
>about a week and then it returns in full force, with a list of literally
>hundreds of bad blocks in fsck.  I haven't checked the syslog, so I don't
>know if the problems are recorded there or not, but the sheer quantity of
>errors would suggest that either 1. the hardware is failing on 40, 50,
>60+ percent of its reads (which would undoubtedly show up under MacOS as
>well), or 2. there's some software-hardware interaction problem causing
>blocks to come up bad.

I had a Quantum Lightning 730 internal drive that was about 7 months old
that I had similar problems with.  It would work fine on the MacOS side but
under NetBSD it would develop medium errors and bad block problems.  I
would eventually end up testing and reformatting it with Silverlining and
it would work fine for a few weeks, then have the same problems again.
Eventually it developed errors that Silverlining was unable to fix.

Anyway I sent it back to La Cie where I bought it from.  I never found out
what was wrong with it because they "temporarily misplaced" it soon after
they received it. I never heard anything more about it, but I haven't had
any problems with my Quantum Fireball 1080 replacement.  Keep your fingers
crossed.  :-)

--
Steven Carlson
stevec@accessone.com