Subject: color Xmacbsd?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Leonard <leonard@dstc.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/1996 20:56:21
How is this going? it seems to be going well, from boot messages -current
gives me!

i have looked, but cannot find, an X server (or patches to the X
distribution) for netbsd/mac68k that can use the new intvid/grf devices.
(ive checked the web, fingering, mailing list archives, source)

   [INLINE] NuBus enhancements for internal and external video in
   preparation for color X Windows. This includes support for
   "slot 0." Joshua Freier <jdf2026@rit.edu>

I did see that Joshua is working on the colour video part of the kernel,
but was wondering if anyone had made appropriate changes to the Xserver?

In 1994 I did get the X dist, and the patches (from cray-ymp) and
build the world... are the newer diffs available? - i couldnt find them under
macbsd.com or netbsd.org - have they been integrated into the Xserver
distribution? (It is still downloading)

Anyway after booting this IIsi, I see:

  intvid0: 640 x 480, 256 color

but when I run (the latest I can find) X:

  occult:/usr/X11R6/bin# ./Xmacbsd.960506
  Couldn't set video mode to 0x80 or 0x83
  Fatal server error:
  video mode initialization failure

if i hack grfiv_mode() will i get away with it?

does colour internal video work anyway? it doesnt seem to scroll the
console any slower than it did in 1-bit...

David Leonard                            Developer, DSTC
The University of Queensland             david.leonard@dstc.edu.au
					 http://www.dstc.edu.au/~leonard/