Subject: xntpd3-5.85
To: Chris Mason <cmason@nando.net>
From: None <stenn@whimsy.udel.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1996 02:05:52
Chris> I have download ntp to try to fix the infamous clock drift
Chris> problem experienced by many MacBSD users.  The distribution seems
Chris> to have recognized (surprisingly) MacBSD 1.2_beta:

Chris> checking host system type... m68k-apple-netbsd1.2_BETA

Chris> but still doesn't compile.  I've fixed several of the (usual)
Chris> previous declaration problems, like sys_errlist, which configure
Chris> said the following about (is this correct?? I thought sys_errlist
Chris> was defd in the headers):

Chris> checking if declaring 'char *sys_errlist' is ok...  yes

It's *really* checking if it's OK to declare 'char *sys_errlist[]', but
I was unable to get the [] characters to get past the m4 quoting bits.
There's even a comment in configure.in about this.

Anyway, configure needs to know if it's OK to have the declaration even
if stdio.h already has the declaration.  If you're getting a "yes"
answer, that means that a C program similar to:

	#include <stdio.h>
	extern char *sys_errlist[];

will compile without an error.

If you send in a patch describing what you had to change on what
platform, there's even a good chance that you won't have to patch the
next release of xntpd.

Chris> But now I've run into:

 gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -I.  -g -O ntp_loopfilter.c
 ntp_loopfilter.c:173: syntax error before `/'
 ntp_loopfilter.c: In function `loop_config':
 ntp_loopfilter.c:801: `pll_trap' undeclared (first use this function)
 ntp_loopfilter.c:801: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
 ntp_loopfilter.c:801: for each function it appears in.)
 ntp_loopfilter.c: At top level:
 ntp_loopfilter.c:850: `pll_trap' used prior to declaration
 *** Error code 1

I don't see how a `/' could be seen on that line.

Chris> Does anyone have configure options/diffs that actually compile
Chris> for MacBSD??

If you find any, please send in the diffs!

While there are still some remnant SYS_NETBSD (among others) bits in the
code, the current release of xntp3 does NOT use any of these code
fragments.  These fragments are mostly there to help with the shakeout
to autoconf and will be removed soon.