Subject: Mac to PC-AT cross cable
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wada, Tatsuaki <wada@ee.ibaraki.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/28/1996 12:42:17
Does someone know how to make a RS-232C cross-cable which conects a Mac and
a PC-AT?

I want to make the cross-cable, but I'm not sure the wiring diagram of the
connection
between a Mac DIN-8 conector and a PC-AT DB-9.
Here are the Pin Assignments for DIN-8 and IBM DB-9. I found them in the
Apple Technical
Information Library.

     Circular 8      Signal                             IBM DB-9
        1       HSKo (+12V)                             1 DCD
        2           HSKi                                2 RxD
        3           TXD-                                3 TxD
        4           GND                                 4 DTR
        5           RXD-                                5 SG
        6           TXD+                                6 DSR
        7           No Wire                             7 RTS
        8           RXD+                                8 CTS
        GND                                             9 Ring Indicator
(not implemented)

I know some electronics and Mac serial port is not RS232C but RS-422.
In particular I'm not sure how to handle the following pins of DB-9,

        DCD
        DTR -- Data Ready?
        DSR
        RTS -- Ready To Send?
        CTS

because I don't know what they mean.

  Circular 8      Signal                             IBM DB-9
        1       HSKo (+12V)                           ?
        2           HSKi                              ?
        3           TXD-    -----------------------   2 RxD
        4           GND     -----------------------   5 SG
        6           TXD+                              ?
        7           No Wire
        8           RXD+                              ?
        GND

Any comment or sugestion is welcome.

Regard.
--
Tatsuaki Wada
       Dept. Electrical and Electronic Engineering