Subject: Using external SCSI drives
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert C. Tindall <rtindall@delta.math.wsu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/1996 17:53:36
Next Newbie Q (sooner or later I'll get this all nuked out)

I have a pair of screamin' 40 (cout them *FOURTY MILLION*) meg drives I'm
*trying* to use for various high-traffic, low priority directories.
Unfortunatly, if I try to write a file of more than about 10k to either
drive the whole thing hangs up and freezes without a peep.

I have 4 drives connected, sd0a, sd1g, sd2g, and sd3g (I use g because I
have found absolutly no documentation on what b, c, d, e, f, and
h are for).  These drives are the first ones I have ever paid any
attection to termination or connect order, and to the best of my
experience they are textbook (which means almost nothing).  0 is
terminated (I think...it's an IBM mechanism).  1, 2, and 3 are not.  2
and 3 share an external box, and I have a terminator on the box.

Am I being dense, is there a trick, or do I have to sacrifice a virgin
hard drive platter to appease the deamons of SCSI to make all this work?

R. Tindall
(Who USED to think he knew a bit about UNIX)
Propeller Head & Systems Geek
Math Department
WSU