Subject: Kaboom! Please help
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John R. Goold <mystic@magic.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1996 21:47:47
OK. I've been following this list for a while (this is my first post,
hopefully I've got the address right!) and have looked for help in the
postings. I also spent some time this afternoon browsing the FAQ at
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq. I didn't really find the
answer to my problem, though there appear to be a lot of similarities to
other people's difficulties installing the Mac68K port of NetBSD.

First the problem: I get a Mac bomb - bus error while running the Install
utility.

OVERVIEW:

My configuration: MacIIcx, 20MB RAM, 2GB HD (I'll provide specifics)

I rebooted with my SCSI chain physically disconnected (i.e. only the
internal HD) to ensure termination or strange devices were not the cause of
the problem. I assume I can rule out peripherals as the cause.

I rebooted with extensions off (i.e., I held the <Shift> key down during
booting). The Install utility either doesn't need 32-bit addressing, or
never got far enough for it to matter, as the result was the same. I assume
I can rule out extension conflicts.

DETAILS:

I have FWB's Hard Disk ToolKit. Its partitioning software is called HDT
Primer (version 1.8). When I use the "Get Info" function to check my drive,
it reports:

SCSI ID Number:         0
Drive Type:             Random Access Device
Drive Class:            SCSI-2 (ANSI X3T9.2/86-110)
Partition Style:        Inside Mac V
Driver Name:            FWB ID:0 v1.8.0
HDT Driver Version:     31806
Block Size:             512 bytes per block
Mirroring:              No
Striping:               No
Free Partition Space:   128,004 K
Bus Controller Family:  NCR53Cxx
Bus Controller Type:    NCR5380

When I use the "Configure Driver" option, I can see the following settings
(I won't draw the check boxes; I'll just indicate checked or not checked):

Verification after writes         <not checked>
Blind transfers                   <checked>
Automatic bad block reallocation  <not checked>
Allow Disconnect                  <checked>
Disable Parity                    <not checked>
Maxchunk:              65535 blocks
Retry Count:           10

The "About This Macintosh..." confirms I'm running:

System Software 7.5.3
System 7.5 Update 2.0
Total Memory: 20,480K
Largest Unused Block: 12,814K
System Software: 7,590K

I also have "MODE32" installed (since I have a MacIIcx!) which is proven by
the Memory Control Panel which reports:

Disk Cache:                 Always on
Cache Size:                 512K
Virtual Memory:             Off
Available built-in memory:  20M
32-Bit Addressing:          On

I used FWB's HDT Primer to set up partitions for NetBSD. I did this by
trashing a 500MB partition and then creating partitions using the available
free space. The free space left on the drive (reported above) is because,
during one of my attempts to install NetBSD, I set up a "Usr" partition
which I later trashed (when, or if, I get further, I'll reallocate it). So
you know what is going on, (maybe this is the problem), HDT Primer reports
my partitions as:

Title:      A/UX Root slice 0      <-- that's a zero
Name:       Root file system
Type:       Apple_UNIX_SVR2        <-- is this the problem?
Size:       128,000K
Attributes:                        <-- none set, selection not enabled

Title:      A/UX Swap slice 1
Name:       Swap
Type:       Apple_UNIX_SVR2
Size:       56,005K
Attributes:                        <-- none set, selection not enabled

Utilities:

Mkfs
Mooter 1.9.2
NetBSD/MacInstall Utility 1.1

I ran Mkfs and it appeared to create the filesystem on the root partition
(it reported the name correctly as "Root file system", so I let it go
ahead!). It did not report any errors, but did report some information
which I'll post only if it's needed.

I then attempted to run NetBSD/MacInstall Utility 1.1. It started up and
displayed the following:

sd0 at scsi ID 0.
sd1 at scsi ID 6.
Partition read, SCSIID = 0
Mounting partition 'A' as /
failed mountfs(), error 22.
mount root. : Undefined error: 0

I then got a Macintosh BOMB dialog containing a "Restart" button and the
following text:

Sorry, a system error occurred.
"NetBSD/Mac Install Utility 1.1"
bus error

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. By the way, I downloaded the
Install utility twice -- both had the same byte counts, so I assume there
was no undetected corruption.

John Goold

 John R. Goold   |     Use common sense when attributing opinions.
mystic@magic.ca  | Voice: (416) 486-0313 | HMM: 112 Hillsdale Ave West
Toronto, Canada  | FaX:   (416) 488-4575 |      Toronto, ON    M5P 1G5