Subject: Re:Q605
To: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
From: None <omar@webnetmktg.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1996 12:08:37
>>Hi all
>>        I have been running mac-BSD for about a year now on an SE/30 and it
>>worked wonderful. Unfortunantly I can't use it any more because its going
>>out so I thought of porting it to my Q605. well I got pretty far but the
>>only ting is I can't find a kernel for it. I am hoping this is because
>>there is none out there for the Q605. I tried to use the ADB test kernel
>>and it did not work. A window came up telling me that this has not been
>>tested on this machine.
>
>You can get past this by setting the booter's "booting" options correctly.
>Basically, just check the box that says "Don't bug me about untested machine".
>Unfortunately, I believe that the Q605 uses the same SCSI controller chip
>as the Q610 and is therefore not going to work anyway.  The proper SCSI
>driver has not been written yet.  With the Q610 and the adbtest kernel
>it gets all the way to telling me there is no boot device and quits.
>Can someone else chime in as to whether the Q605 uses the NCR53C90 SCSI
>chip or not??
>
>Steve Brown
>

>>        To come to the point I wanted to know if there is anyone out there
>>who has succesfuly ported mac-BSD to the Q605 and if there is can they give
>>me  step by step instructions on installing it thanks.

Right-O. Let me know if you know anybody. By the way what kernel are you
using and what booter are you using. I would also like to know how to use
the kernel proply the installer won't install it because its not tar or gz
properly how can I get around this. I tried to boot from the macOS kernel
but I am sceptical about this ie this is part of the problem. How can
mac-BSD work proply if the kernel is on the mac-OS side. Your info is much
appreciated thanks.