Subject: Re: SBC probs
To: Chris Mason <cmason@nando.net>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1996 00:20:43
On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Chris Mason wrote:

> I switched from an NCR driver to:
>
> NetBSD 1.2_BETA (GENERICSBC) #2: Thu Jul 18 23:25:28 CDT 1996
>
> about three weeks ago because of disk error (media) problems.

Well, the SBC kernel won't correct media problems.  It will correct disk
corruption problems that some people seem to experience with certain disks
that are otherwise known to be good.

> Does anyone know anything about SBC and disk corruption or disk errors?  Is
> there a newer version of the SBC kernel that I can get?

That was the last version I compiled.  I'm not aware of it having any
problems on disks in general, though it doesn't seem to like
magneto-optical (MO) disks.

> Also, how can I get fsck to remap the blocks so i can keep working with out
> reformatting and reinstalling?

There was a simple-minded sdremap program posted to current-users some
time back.  You might try finding it in the list archives (on
http://www.netbsd.org/).

--scott