Subject: New Problem: Odd Terminal situation...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jacobson <fear@athenet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1996 12:58:46
Now I've got a new problem...

Every time I log in as root, it asks me for a terminal...I know thats ok,
I like that, in fact if I could do something so the users would get the
prompt too it would be nice... but then the problem is it defaults to
'unknown'... so I'm figuring its a problem in configuration, perhaps Im
missing vt files or something, or misconfigured .login and .cshrc (but
even on a whim I tried the root's .login and .cshrc as a regular user and
it still failed)...
When it prompts I can type in 'vt100' and it seems to work ok...

However, since users default to 'unknown' they get problems with vi and
other software..

Another problem is with the 'delete' key... it works perfectly when I log
in as root, or in single-user mode, but when I log in as a /user/, it
ACTS like the delete key, at least, the BSD box treats it like it
deleted, but on my end it displays '^?' (i.e, the cntrl character is
shown)

For example, if I type:

Since there are only 3 characters to delete, it shows up as:
555^?^?^?

And if I type:
It appears as:
lss -^?^?^? -l

And acts as:
ls -l

Where it should just appear as:
ls -l

Perhaps some of you have had this problem before... the terminal software
I am using is 'ZTerm', but I dont think thats the problem since ROOT
doesn't experience this... I've tried
stty erase ^?
But the same problem happens (it doesn't act any different, it still
treats it like erase, but doesn't backspace or destruct, just displays
cntrl-character).
Its totally a visual problem but a very annoying one at that.

One other thing, I'm using csh byt it happens even with sh

- Chris Jacobson