Subject: Re: x
To: None <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: David Leonard <leonard@dstc.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1996 20:33:22
In dstc.mail.netbsd.port-mac68k you write:
> > ok, i've got x working reasonably well, but now i want it to do the
> > following (for which all suggestions will be gratefully ..er attempted.)

> Cool.

> > 1. when i run xdm, i do not want it to come up on the server box's
> > screen. i want it to run in the backgnd

> Why do you want it to run in the background?  If you want to use xdm,
> don't you want to log in with it?  (There may be a -daemon flag to xdm
> that will do this, tho, check the man pages)

If you want to manage other xserver displays you can read the manual page
on xdm, to see what to edit in Xaccess. Otherwise you can stop xdm from
taking over :0 by removing the appropriate line from Xservers. these files
are found in /usr/lib/X11/xdm/.

> > 2. when i type startx, i want it to automatically do twm& by itself
> > after i'm logged in, not have to be told each time

> Take a look at the startx script.  You will probably notice that it
> checks for a .xinitrc file in your home directory.  All you have to do,
> really, is create such a file and have it run whatever X commands you
> wish, including your window manager.

also note that twm is usually run in the foreground so that the 'Quit/Logout'
menu item works. ie drop the '&'

> > 3. i want twm to really save the state of the session when i log out
> > - the save state thing in .twmrc does not do this.

> You might try ctwm instead.  I think that it behaves a little better on
> this one.

If he was talking about saving what windows he had open, and re-openning
them on the next login (like SGI's do) then you could possibly write
a little script using `xlsclients -al' and `xwininfo' to generate the
commands to re-run them on the next X login.

> > 4. i want to set the default font of xterm to be smaller than it is by
> > default, and i want it to automatically show a scroll bar. how to?

> You can change this by changing the xterm x-resources in one of several
> places (depending on how you start X):  in
> /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm, in $HOME/.Xdefaults, or in
> $HOME/.Xresources (if you have your system set up to handle the last
> one).  To add a scrollbar, I think the line is:

> XTerm*scrollbar:	on

> I'm not sure how to change the default font, but if you read the xterm
> manual page, it should describe the widget hierarchy and xresources for
> the xterm application.

I find this font works well for my 640x480 13" screen:

XTerm*font: 5x7

David Leonard                            Developer, DSTC
The University of Queensland             david.leonard@dstc.edu.au
					 http://www.dstc.edu.au/~leonard/