Subject: Re: why no telnet for root?
To: Denton Gentry <denny.gentry@Eng.Sun.COM>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/1996 23:33:15
On Aug 22, 12:28pm, Denton Gentry wrote:

>  No. Solaris by default disallows root login over the net. If your

Yes, my mistake.  When I got the box, it was running SunOS 4.1.3, and I
was able to login as root over the net.  I installed Solaris on a new disk,
and it wasn't until today that I actually attempted a remote login to it.
I'm absolutely green when it comes to SunOS/Solaris; that's why I'm playing
with this one.

>  IRIX uses the same /etc/default/login mechanism. I believe its default
>  is also to disallow root login but am not sure.

IRIX, on the other hand, does default to allowing root logins, as well as
having several accounts, including root, lp and guest, with no password on
initial install.

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

"You can't teach people to be lazy - either they have it, or they
don't."
		-- Dagwood Bumstead