Subject: Re: why no telnet for root?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Denton Gentry <denny.gentry@Eng.Sun.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/1996 12:28:12
> The systems I manage are behind a well-managed firewall, so security is
> of only moderate importance, but I can name at least three systems that
> let me directly log in as root over the net: SGI IRIX, Harris CX/UX and
> Sun Solaris 2.5, all in their default configurations...

  No. Solaris by default disallows root login over the net. If your
  Solaris box allows root login via telnet it is because
/etc/default/login
  has been edited to comment out the CONSOLE directive. It may have been
  done a long time ago on your Jumpstart install image, but it was done.

  IRIX uses the same /etc/default/login mechanism. I believe its default
  is also to disallow root login but am not sure.
							Denny