Subject: Re: why no telnet for root?
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Jell-O <wookie@us.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/1996 03:53:28

> This is not allowed as it is a security risk to let root log in from an
> unsecure terminal.  I don't know of any version of UNIX that generally
> allows this kind of thing.  Telnet in as yourself and then su to root.
> Actually, you should always do this, even logging in at a login prompt as
> root is generally looked down upon.

BSDI will allow root to login.  Althought it is not a great idea to
allow root to login, I believe that it should at least be an option.
How about we make it an option for our kernel configs?  Let's set it
to default to no root login; this will at least allow people to have
this option.

Opinions?

-Jon